myNetImages Help and Discussion

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:02 am
You must register to the forum, separately from myNetImages, to post messages.

Post subject: System Update - May 16, 2007
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:09 pm 

Hello everyone,

It’s been a while since I last posted but that’s only because I’ve been very busy working on the update that went live yesterday. It’s a biggie that affected quite a few things on the site.
Where should I begin, ok here we go…

Storage Limits
Until this point the storage limit was mentioned but wasn’t really enforced, that is no more. From now on, if you exceed your 1 Gigabyte (1024 Megabytes) of storage space you won’t be able to upload any more images. Have no fear, it will take a lot of images to fill up all the space, but if you do you can always delete older ones you no longer need hosted.

Bandwidth Limits
To cut down on abuse and to keep everyone’s service nice and fast each account is now allocated 4 Gigabytes of monthly Direct/Hot Link bandwidth. This limit affects only direct and hot linking.

Not sure what that means, well its simple; direct/hot link is an image which you, or someone else, posted on another sit. If you post your images on MySpace, eBay, message boards or any other site, and those images are hosted here at myNetImages.com, that’s called direct/hot linking. Basically, if your images are viewed on sites other than myNetImages.com it counts towards bandwidth usage.

If you do a lot of hot linking there are few things you can do to cut down on bandwidth usage. The most obvious is, don’t upload huge images. You can use the automatic upload resize option, that’s found under Settings, to make all your uploaded images a specific size. Instead of setting them to 1200px or larger, set them to 800px. This will not only cut down on your bandwidth usage but will also make your images friendlier for other people to look at. They will load faster and won’t require the other person to scroll around in order to see the entire image.
Thumbnails do not count towards bandwidth usage.

Another option, and most effective, is to post thumbnails of your images which are clickable to full size versions and open on myNetImages.com. There are quite a few new linking options specifically designed for this, read on to find out more about those new links.

You can also post couple sample images along with a link to your gallery where the rest of the images reside. Again, there are new linking options which take care of privacy concerns if you only wish to share specific albums or images.

Bandwidth meter is reset on the 1st of each month.

You can check your storage and bandwidth usage by clicking "My Account" button.

New Linking Options
There are quite a few new linking options when viewing individual images and browsing using the Links View. I hope the link labels will provide enough guidance as to what each one is for the novice users, but here is some additional info.

You will notice that links have two types of icons, a shield and a smiley face.

Shield indicates anonymous links, what this means is that these links do not reveal your myNetImages member identity to anyone that views the given link. Anyone viewing anonymous link will only see the image(s) under the given link. Anonymous album links will only display the images directly within this album, no sub-albums will be visible, no member name or anything else. Only the album name and images in that album will be shown. The same goes for anonymous image links, only the single image and details of that image will be shown. These types of links are perfect if you don’t want anyone to look at other things in your gallery or even know your member name. Great for hot-linked thumbnails, random album sharing or just a way to keep your content anonymous.

Smiley face indicates “bandwidth saver” links, when these links are used no bandwidth usage is counted towards your account. These should be used when you are using clickable thumbnails on other sites.

Visual/User Interface Changes

Main view options have changed; they have been changed to a tab layout. There are now two view options, Standard View which is the regular thumbnail view and Links View which will show all the links available for each image. You should use Standard View for general navigation as it will be a bit quicker than Links View. Links View has a sub-menu to change between link types, have a look and you’ll know what I mean. List view is no more; I don’t believe this was very useful

When viewing an image, if the image is large, it will automatically be resized to fit your browser window without scrolling. You will see a button to show full size version if the image has been resized. I think this will make navigation a lot better where you can quickly see the entire image instead of having to scroll around. Also, there is a new links box at the bottom, you can tab between different link types

Sub-folders are now a little darker and have a drop shadow; this should make them stand out a little more from regular images. This should make navigation a little easier when you have a lot of albums and images in the same location.

There is now a new section called "My Account", button in top left corner, currently it only shows your account storage and bandwidth usage. Storage usage information has been removed from its old location where it was visible all the time.

I hope these visual/user interface changes make the members area a little better to work with.

Ok, I think that’s all the typing I want to do tonight, I’m probably forgetting a few things I wanted to mention but it’s getting late.

I hope you guys like the updates, I always welcome any comments, suggestions or complains through the Contact Us form. Remember to use a real email address if you want a reply!

Post subject: System Update May 16 2007
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:24 am 

And I repeat, this may have been set up, as per legal requirements, back when the convention was first start and can not be changed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:33 pm 

The proposed date of 10th May clashes with the Portsmouth 8-a-side tournament which we are hoping to enter. Maybe we can still play golf, it depends on who wants to play down in Pompey.

Post subject: South Africa Steps Up Efforts Against AIDS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:01 am 

SOVANE, South Africa — South Africa, trying to overcome years of denial and delay in confronting its monumental AIDS crisis, is now in the midst of a feverish buildup of testing, treatment and prevention that United Nations officials say is the largest and fastest expansion of AIDS services ever attempted by any nation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:57 am 

Im still here JC, just got done with school. So Ill be able to finish any map you may need.

Great question. Where is the beta?